These are delicious, vegan, pan-fried cutlets made with sweet potatoes and flavored with an aromatic blend of spices. The sweet, spicy, savory, and the bitter flavors are well balanced in these cutlets. These cutlets are great as starters or snacks and are easy to make.
Sweet potatoes are a healthy fall veggie that is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants. Sweet potatoes are not only for pie. They can be great in savory recipes too. Though I love sweet potato fries, my favorite way to have sweet potatoes is in the form of a curry my mom makes. We make sambhar and pulikuzhambu, a tangy tamarind based gravy, and I love to add sweet potatoes in these recipes. My kids love these cutlets. Making cutlets with sweet potatoes instead of using potatoes is a great choice to reduce the calories while adding extra nourishment.
Why should you make these cutlets? Well, because....
- The recipe is simple and easy to follow.
- These are pan-fried and not deep fried.
- Gives the sweet, spicy, salty, savory, bitter, and nutty flavors all in one bite!
- This recipe uses buckwheat flour that works as a binder, rice flour can also be used.
- Dried methi/fenugreek leaves have a bitter flavor, and it would balance the sweet flavor of the sweet potatoes.
- Peanuts and coconuts add to the nutty flavor.
- These cutlets are delicious and nutritious.
- These are made with the amazing fall harvest making them a perfect appetizer for fall gatherings.
When making these cutlets, it is important not to overcook the sweet potatoes. It should be just fork tender. If over cooked, there will be a lot of moisture and shaping them would be hard.
If you are wondering what to serve these with, then there are a few options. Flavored mayo, green mint-cilantro chutney, chimichurri, peanut chutney pair well with these cutlets. My personal favorite is sweet chili sauce, the perfect accompaniment to these cutlets. Every bite is finger-licking delicious!
Welcome to the fourth annual #FallFlavors! We have 21 bloggers sharing over SIXTY recipes using fall ingredients like squash, apples, maple, pecans, and many more. Follow #FallFlavors to see all the delicious recipes on social media. Follow the Favorite Fall Recipes Facebook group and follow the Favorite Fall Flavors Pinterest board for more fall inspiration! Today is the final day of our #fallflavors week. This is my final recipe for the weeklong event and earlier I had shared Pumpkin Rabdi and Apple Pie Pancakes.
Sweet Potatoes - 14oz
Buckwheat flour - 4 tbsp
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric - 1/8 tsp
Dried fenugreek leaves - 1 tsp
Breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Peanuts - 3 tbsp
Desiccated coconut - 3 tbsp (unsweetened)
Chili flakes - 1 tbsp
Thai chili - 1, finely chopped
Ginger - 1/4 tsp, grated
Oil - 3-4 tsp
Cut the sweet potato into 1-in slices. Steam them for 12 minutes or until fork tender.
When the sweet potato slices are cool, peel, and mash them.
Heat a small pan over medium heat. Dry roast the cumin, coriander, and fennel seeds for 1-2 minutes. Add the chili flakes and desiccated coconut and roast for another minute. Set aside to cool.
Add the ground spice mixture, quarter cup bread crumbs, buckwheat flour, grated ginger, salt, dried fenugreek leaves, turmeric, and finely chopped Thai chili to the mashed sweet potatoes. Mix together.
Scoop about two to two and a half tablespoons of the mixture and shape into a ball. Roll the balls in breadcrumbs, flatten them slightly, and set aside. Repeat with each portion.
Heat a pan on medium flame, drizzle about a teaspoon oil and place the cutlets. Pan fry them for about 3-4 minutes and flip and panfry for 2 minutes. Set aside, and cook the rest of the cutlets.
Serve the cutlets warm with green chutney, ketchup, mayo, or sweet chili sauce.
Friday #FallFlavor Recipes
Appetizers and Beverages
- Delicious Cranberry Pecan Cheese Ball from Family Around The Table
- Pumpkin Spice White Russian from Our Crafty Cocktails
- Vegan Sweet Potato Cutlets from Magical Ingredients
- Cinnamon Chip Apple Muffins from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Cranberry Walnut Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Pumpkin Banana Muffins from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Sun Dried Tomato Vinaigrette from Art of Natural Living
- Autumn Chicken Cobb Salad from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Ham, Apple and Cheddar Quesadillas from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
- Slow Cooker German Pork Roast from Palatable Pastime
- Air Fryer Candied Pecans from Devour Dinner
- Apple Cinnamon Chip Cookies from Sweet Beginnings
- Candy Corn Cookies from Best Cookie Recipes
- Ginger Apple Pear Crisp from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Maple Brown Sugar Cookies with Candied Sage from The Spiffy Cookie
- Maple Pecan Biscotti from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Pumpkin Caramel Trifle Mason Jar Dessert from Our Crafty Mom
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars from Blogghetti
- Pumpkin Dump Cake from An Affair from the Heart
- Sweet Potato Cinnamon Roll Cake from Jen Around the World