This is an amazing appetizer with creamy labne and spicy onion-tomato-red pepper filling all wrapped in a flaky puff pastry! These cute little pinwheels are a bite of heaven with fantastic flavors. These swirls are great appetizers and also a great snack along with a piping cup of chai.
It is a best choice to make for the following reasons:
- Very delicious
- Perfect balanced flavors
- Creamy and tasty filling
- Buttery flaky puff pastry
- Easy to make
- Crowd pleaser
Labne has the perfect tanginess and creaminess that is spreadable but at the same time not very thin. This perfectly balances the spicy filling. The traditional Indian spices with lovely notes of mint and cilantro make this out of the world. Speaking of the filling, I always double the batch as this comes in handy for quick meal fixes. The filling is kind of a fusion between the Indian and Mediterranean flavors. Red peppers and labne are used extensively in Mediterranean cooking and the masala powders add to the Indian flavors. With a puff pastry to hold this filling, this is a perfect fusion appetizer that would be the ultimate appetizer!
I have used Pepperidge Farm puff pastry sheets. It comes in a package of two. Double or triple this recipe and use both the sheets or extra sheets, if you are making for a bigger group. I love to use puff pastry as it is versatile and can be used to make appetizers, main, or dessert. I love to make Puff Pastry Samosa Pinwheels or Onion Puffs with it more often. Did I say that Muhammara, a red pepper dip, is a dip that I love to dip anything in?
Add the onions, ginger, garlic, and sauté for 4-5 minutes until the onions become translucent.
Add the tomatoes and bell pepper, followed by salt and turmeric. Cook until the tomatoes and bell peppers are cooked, this may take about 4 to 5 minutes. Switch off the flame.
Thaw a puff pastry sheet and gently roll to straighten out a little. Spread the labne evenly leaving one inch and half inch on two opposite sides.
From the side that is left unfilled for half inch, gently roll into a log.
Monday #BrunchWeek Recipes
Appetizers and Salads
- Masala Labneh Pastry Swirls from Magical Ingredients
- Smoked Trout Polenta Canapés from Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Turkey Cheddar Kabobs with Honey-Mustard Dipping Sauce from A Little Fish in the Kitchen
Breads, Grains, and Cereals
- Blueberry Pan Cake from Jolene's Recipe Journal
- Brunch Board from A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- GF Biscuits and Gravy from Frugal & Fit
- Korvapuustit (Finnish Cinnamon Rolls) from Tara's Multicultural Table
- Strawberry Muffins from Kathryn's Kitchen Blog
- Crustless Broccoli and Cheese Mini Quiches from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Naan Breakfast Pizza from Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Spring Onion and Asparagus Quiche from Jen Around the World
- Bacon, Tomato, and Corn Galette from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Loco Moco from Palatable Pastime
- Southern Country Ham and Red Eye Gravy from For the Love of Food