This soup is broth-based and tastes great beating the winter blues. This is based similar to our aloo or aloo gobi curry. I have tried potato recipes from the north-eastern states of India. They are broth-based and yummy. The inspiration for this soup came from those potato curries. We started loving this and is often made in our home. Winter demands soups and soup-based meals. Necessity makes us tweak our usuals and have a wonderful meal and a great time with family. Also, this soup is vegan and is great on the menu for vegan guests.
This gets ready quickly and hence can make a great weeknight dinner. A piping hot bowl of this soup with garlic toasts is all you need. We even loved this with fried bread. I tried Tibetan style and this soup was perfect with that too! This can be great with rice too.
This month is National Potato Month and in our #SoupSaturdaySwappers, we are sharing soups based on potatoes. Potatoes are great comfort food, it can be the dish or a base providing delicious and lip-smacking food. I am linking this recipe for this event. Wendy is hosting this month's event.
Oil - 1 tbsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Garlic - 1.5 tsp, finely chopped
Ginger - 1.5 tsp, finely chopped
Onions - 2 cups, sliced and halved
Potatoes - 3-4 cups, medium diced
Cauliflower - -2.5 cups
Peas - 1 cup
Salt - 1 and 3/4 tsp
Thai chili peppers - 4-5, slit
Water or stock - 7 cups
Lime juice - 1 tsp
Cilantro - 1/4 cup, chopped
Heat oil in a pot. Add the cumin, ginger, garlic, and slit green chili. Saute for a minute. Add the sliced onions and cook till translucent.
Add the cauliflower florets, salt, and turmeric. Add peas. Simmer for 4-5 minutes till the cauliflower is crisp-tender. Adjust salt and spice if needed.
Ladle into bowls, garnish with cilantro.
Serve with a lime wedge. And garlic bread!
Here is the list with links for the February 2021 #SoupSaturdaySwappers.Thanks, Wendy and #SoupSaturday Swappers.
- Chicken Chili with Sweet Potatoes by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chunky Sweet Potato and Ham Soup by Sid's Sea Palm Cooking
- Crockpot Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Curry Soup by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- German Potato Soup by Making Miracles
- Peas & Potatoes Stew by Sneha's Recipe
- Peruvian Potato Soup (Locro de Papas) by Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Potato Cauliflower and Peas Soup by Magical Ingredients
- Spiced Sweet Potato-Red Lentil Stew by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Spicy Chorizo Vegetable Soup by Palatable Pastime